Monday, October 3, 2011

Day 222 - Homemade

As predicted, it's a lot harder to eat low cal AND homemade. Low cal stuff must literally be made from air and I don't know how to get that into recipes. Either that or the candy corn ruined everything. Good thing I ate it all. Plus, there's a lot of things I really don't know how to record - like how much of the butter I put in the pan to cook the french toast do I have to count? How much of the beer I put in the stew? BUT I am happy to report the ENTIRE weekend (aside from drinks) was homemade. Yesterday I made french toast with the homemade sourdough bread and then we had my crockpot beef stew. Twice. The first time at 3pm with the last of the sourdough (it wasn't QUITE done) and then again at 8pm with the first of my 2nd loaf of bread made entirely of ingredients... that sounds weird. I guess by "from ingredients" I mean "from scratch". It had in it only: water, margarine, sugar, salt, flour and yeast. That's it. White bread is only supposed to have 6 ingredients. Look on your bags of store bought and see how many it has. Yeah, that's exactly why I decided to start baking our own.

Now, this loaf I didn't make entirely "by hand" because I bought a bread machine at a garage sale this weekend ($5, woohoo!) so all I did was throw in the ingredients and wait 3 hours and BOOM! bread. However, we discovered that the "non-stick" coating in it leaves a LOT to be desired and we ended up losing the whole bottom of the loaf. I had purchased a couple bread pans from the dollar store on Saturday, so this isn't a huge deal, just means we'll be using a bit more energy to bake the bread if I have to do it in the oven and just use the machine to mix and knead the dough which was the super messy bit before anyhow. I mean, I'm REALLY glad I took my rings off before I started because at one point I had to use my elbow to turn on the water I was so covered in goo. Alternatively, I could try spraying cooking spray into the bread maker. We'll try it one time and see what happens.

Monday morning, 146.1 lbs

Food detail:

Breakfast
1/2 large Egg - 37
1 serving sourdough bread from mix - 150
1 tbsp Syrup - 53

Lunch
1 oz Beef Top Sirloin (Trimmed to 1/8" Fat, Select Grade) - 54
2 small Red Potatoes (Flesh and Skin) - 245
1 serving sourdough bread from mix - 150

Dinner
3 oz Beef Top Sirloin (Trimmed to 1/8" Fat, Select Grade) - 161
1/4 cup chopped Onions - 17
1 small Red Potatoes (Flesh and Skin) - 122
2 slices White Bread - 133

Snacks/Other
3 servings Candy Corn - 450
1 oz Dry Roasted Pistachio Nuts (with Salt Added) - 161

Total = 1733

2 comments:

  1. Yay for home made! As far as the butter in the pan goes, just use olive oil or vegetable oil spread (the kind without the partially hydrogenated oils that are linked to cancer) and then don't count it because that Sh*t is good for you! Vegetable oil is full of monounsaturated fats that basically scrub cholesterol (bad fat) out of your arteries, and helps you feel less hungry (like when you eat bad fat). I know how important your calorie counting is, but I think you will be surprised at your results when you add more monounsaturated fats into your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I say "butter" I actually mean "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" which is really only water and vegetable oil and 45 calories per tablespoon. But when you eat packaged food it counts everything for you and there's just so many little things I forget to count when I make it myself.

    ReplyDelete