Friday, January 20, 2012

Days 294 and 295

So, I didn't post yesterday because I didn't have a neat and tidy record of everything I ate. That's because in the course of my day I got suckered into watching a pretty lengthy and totally convincing video made by people only interested in my money (I'm sure) but explaining a revolutionary (to me anyway) way to lose weight.

Somewhere along the way to "healthy" I had pigeon-holed my views into "cut calories at all costs". This is easily evidenced by my own admittance to eating "plastic" which is what I call Fat-Free Cool Whip. I mean, what else could it be made of? So, in this video they told a story about your liver. Or my liver. Or their own. It's not important who's liver it was, because if they are working, they are doing the same thing. They have 2 jobs, however (if any of the video was true, which I haven't yet researched for myself). One job is to breakdown fat. Fabulous, lets have more of that. The other is to filter out impurities and toxins. Hm. That's pretty good too. Their point was that if you are eating a lot of foods with ingredients you don't recognize with long unpronounceable names, then your liver probably doesn't know what they are either and is spending all it's time getting rid of them. Which means it's not doing it's OTHER job, breaking down fat. Boo. SO, in that "revolutionary moment" I decided to take a break from my calorie stringent diet and see if I could eat some healthy "one-ingredient" foods.

I haven't had a banana in this house since we noticed the dog was getting fat, and the only other fruit we ever have are apples, but they were for the dogs. Yes, we've always known that the dogs eat better than we do. And essentially, I was going to try to start eating THE SAME THINGS AS THEM. I took a little online quiz (again, un-independently researched and probably bogus) that said I am a metabolic type 2 person. Which basically means, that I only feel full and satisfied if I eat meat (or something like that, I can't be sure). So I looked up on another website what foods were recommended for this type and got a list of all the meats, fruits, veggies, dairy, desserts and beverages suggested for my type.



Then, Wednesday night we went to Starky's and I had a steak. A small one - actually 2 - but they were only about 3-4 ounces each. With some garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. And a BIG glass of red wine. Then we went to Suki's and I had a couple shots of rum and one of vodka along with some diet soda. I'm going to have to try to stop drinking diet soda, but we'll get to that.


Thursday morning I was 150.4lbs. However, I am usually a little lighter on days after I've had a few drinks. I always assume it's because I'm dehydrated.....


Then yesterday, I had two poached eggs and an apple for breakfast. That's only 200 calories. So far so good. For lunch, I had a frozen microwaved "side dish" of roasted potatoes, snap peas and red peppers in some sort of butter sauce which came to 120 calories. Around 3pm I snacked on celery stalks and a tablespoon of peanut butter for 90 calories. We threw some russet potatoes in the oven after work and went to shop for some more 'whole foods'. Either everyone else on the PLANET saw the same video as me the other day, or they've been on this healthy eating thing a while before me, but Fred Meyer was COMPLETELY out of raw almonds AND Quinoa! Two things I had specifically on my list to try. Oh well, we did end up with $90 worth of healthy food (including a $14 bottle of Erath Pinot Noir! woohoo!)


So we came home and I smothered my baked potato in fresh steamed broccoli, some low-fat cottage cheese and one little pat of REAL butter (no more "fake" butter for me!) It was delicious, VERY filling, and so much so, that I didn't even eat Mark's potato skin which I usually do. I will have it for lunch today with some more broccoli and stuff maybe. Then while watching tv, I had a tiny handful of roasted (unsalted) almonds, and a tiny bowl of REAL natural ice cream with no funny ingredients.

The biggest surprise? No extraneous snacking... AND


Friday morning still 150.4 lbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment